Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I want your opinion.

So I'm CVSing and saving TONS. I am stockpiled to the year 3000 on toilet paper, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, household cleaners, and all that stuff.

My DS Alex keeps bringing up that we should be learning how to do the same low OOP on our grocery bill. Sounds great but....

I'm having a hard time when it comes to couponing on groceries. We get groceries at a discount store. The bulk of what they sell is dented, or otherwise sustained some form of (safe) package damage. Ninety percent of it is name brand also. The prices are already wholesale and so, they will not, can not accept coupons.

I can go there and fill up two heaping buggies and still not spend $100 on groceries that will last us half a month. So I do not know if I would be better off sticking to the discount grocery or start keeping those food coupons and see if I can get out cheaper at a national chain grocer.

Another thing that concerns me is that the food coupons seem like they are always for the same "sad" stuff week after week, after week. I mean really. How many cans of tomato paste does one family need? Besides that, tomato paste (Hunts) is only .10 a can at my discount store as it is. LOL You get my point!

And will I have to give up my beloved breads? At my store ALL breads, name brand, whether they be pumpernickel, german, rye, plain ole sliced white bread, hot dog buns, rolls, hoagie buns- WHAT EVER- is all only fifty cents each. All fresh too! Can I do better than that if I start shopping "X" chain store and use coupons?

What is your thoughts on this? Can I save more by leaving the discount store, or do you think I've got a pretty good thing going where I'm at and just save myself the extra "hassle" of hunting and gathering more coupons?

3 comments:

scrapper al said...

I think you've got a good thing going. I'm lucky if I can get tomato paste, canned tomatoes, and other veggies for less than a 75 cents a can. So you can see how coupons help me. Why make more work for yourself unless you want to play the "game."

Kristie said...

Thanks Arlyn. I have to LOL about the tomatoes. That was only an example. Not a cheap shot. Hope I didn't offend. :)
And BTW, any time you want more coupons just say the word girlfriend!

scrapper al said...

Gosh Kristie, if I could get my food at the your prices, I'd be doing a lot more cooking, lol. I would sooooo love to get tomato paste at even a quarter a can!